Top 10 Most and Least Popular Breeds

Based on the American Kennel Club‘s 2012 Registration Statistics, here are the top 10 most and least popular breeds. You can check out the full list to see  all 177 breed rankings and find out where your dog ranks!

InfographicJPG

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized
15 comments on “Top 10 Most and Least Popular Breeds
  1. Lana says:

Where’s the Chinese Pug???

2. What happened to the Border Collie

3. I don’t think it’s entirely fair to describe the latter as “least popular” breeds, which suggests they are somehow undesirable. Most of them are just rare, at least in the United States. Where would the average person even find a Cesky Terrier if he or she wanted one?

• Thanks Alaric! You’re right — they are rare breeds. This list was based on registration statistics and that’s why we referred to them as the least popular. Somebody could check out the breed’s parent club website for information on where to find that particular breed.

• Linda Kaltenbach says:

I agree, it’s an undeserved title to be listed as “Least Popular”, when most are rare breeds, however better to be listed as unpopular than popular. When a breed becomes popular, the breed suffers. Everybody wants to breed them whether they know anything about breeding or not. They breed in physical and mental problems.

4. How about the Rat-terrier. They are great dogs.

5. The Siberian Husky should be on the most popular breeds list…no question!!!

6. Sharon Tomblyn says:

On behalf of the Otterhound they are not the least popular. They are very popular and are magnets wherever we take our Otterhounds. There are so few Otterhounds and breeders are very selective about placement. There are just not enough to go around.

7. Adriamarie says:

On the Top 10 should be listed Lhasa Apso’s. Seriously they are such a Comforting Breed and just love attention and for me anyway , I have a lot of Disablilites and I can sure tell you My boys know when I am very sick and other then cleaning my house , haha My Boys have always shown me such more love then any other Breed other then a Lab which is also a Great Family dog.

8. Jen says:

Popularity, as I understand this to mean, is based on registration statistics, not whether people like the breed or not. I assume “Bulldogs” is English Bulldogs, not American? I think that number surprises me, given the minutiae involved, sometimes, with their reproduction.

I’m interested to see if the Foxhounds and Lundehunds gain ground, now that they’re recognized.

9. Anonymous says:

I like collies! I’m glad they fall somewhere in the middle. Not the breed of the hour….more responsible breeding !

10. Anonymous says:

Where’s the Sheltie?

11. Patricia says:

Where’s the Shih tzu?

12. pieter says:

good to know we have the best dog and breed right here if ppl only under stood the dog and what its capable off …. go DOBERMAN go …. :)